I now hold my own SimCity livestream show, visit www.twitch.tv/jordanmrichards :)

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Forums Erupt with Fury - SimCity 5 Launch

Greetings Mayors,

Due to the launch, I have been very intrigued to see what's happening on the forums. As I have not yet been able to load the game until the 8th, because I am in the UK and well, lets just say, 'no surprise'.

Considering how much hype there was to get pre-ordering the game, which led to many doing so. SimCity's employees weren't the only ones under pressure, as the servers would have to cope with loads of excited avid gamers, grasping for that play of the game they may have waited months, maybe years for! All this pressure on the servers, or what EA calls 'stress', quite frankly, I was not expecting a smooth launch.

And to no surprise, YEP, quite an unsteady launch by EA. Numerous of threads were posted on the forum on the day of release with players claiming that they had:

  • Trouble creating a city
  • Creating a region, then leaving, then not being able to rejoin
  • Unable to log in
  • Unexpected crashes
  • Not being able to connect to the servers at all
...and many more complaints flooded the EA community forums of SimCity.

OriginInsider's twitter account stated:
Due to the high demand for SimCity, Origin has experienced delays impacting a small percentage of users. We’re working non-stop to resolve."
source: https://twitter.com/OriginInsider/status/309045923248480256 

For the unfortunate 'small percentage of users' who had experienced great trouble in trying to experience this game that they have been waiting for. The forums were the ultimate rant area, where they decided to flood the forums with they're opinions and complains of the launch.

Thinking about it though, we do not actually know how many players actually ARE being able to play the game smoothly on the launch. We are just seeing an emphasize on the problems with the launch on the forums.

Take a step back for a moment, have you noticed how many new members have joined the EA community forums because of the SimCity launch problems? Well if you have, like me, you'll realize that many, many users infact did join because of launch problems.

In a way, this can be seen as a positive. A whole new addition bundle of members flocking into the forums to post! Also, a member of the forums who posted on my A positive to the launch issues  which made me realize that this is also giving SimCity a great SEO boost. Just think of the amount of users who have searched "SimCity Launch Problem _Insert_stuff_here".

Although the negatives outweigh the positives. I think it would be a good idea for users to calm down a little, not saying they shouldn't be mad. But EA GET IT now. People are also giving the moderators a pretty hard time by posting pointless rant threads acting as troll bait. As an active moderator of the forums told me:
Moderators are working on cheetah speed at the moment :)"
And judging by the flood I have witnessed, I can certainly most see how much them moderators have had to work. So hats off to them, for they're endurance during this rant-like launch.

So, what do I think of the launch? It was as I expected. That's all I can comment really, as not being able to play the game until March 8th. It's also the reason why I haven't been able to post much actually about the game yet, but trust me mayors, I'll be working hard on bringing you entertaining-packed blog posts as soon as I get the game!

Thanks for reading mayors, & I would appreciate anyone who would promote this blog in their forum siggy, it would mean a lot!

~JMR (Origin: JordanMRichards, Skype: jordan-m-richards)

3 comments:

  1. Moderators can't be working on cheetah speed, they disabled that feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence why this was posted BEFORE they did that. haha :)

      Delete
  2. You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.
    http://webmasterstage.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not post a comment as feedback? I'd sure appreciate it.